Blog


 My Creative Journey through mixed media and teaching Social Artworking.

view:  full / summary

Working on the The 100 Day Project

Posted by tracy on April 7, 2018 at 6:45 AM Comments comments (0)

This year I decided to do the 100 Day Project. (www.the100dayproject.org). The 100 day Project is, a challenge to do 100 days of projects. I first heard of it through a podcast I like to listen to by Elise Gets Crafty. Elise discussed doing the 100 day project and how it challenged her to create each day for 100 days. It inspired me to do the same by using the 100 day project to complete a few UFO's(Un Finished Objects) and learn a few new techniques I have been wanting to try. This week is the first week, starting on 3 April.

I missed the first day but was still able to work everyday since then. I hope I can keep up the momentum as I have 3 main projects that need finishing. The three projects are "In My Mother's House", a book illustration for a friend, a scrapbook for a friend and a series of paintings of the place I grew up. To keep me motivated and organised. The three projects I have been wanting to do for several months are listed in one of my old planners. I covered the dates and any old entries using washi tape and gesso.

The first day, 1/100 of the project I wanted to finish a painting I am working on for an exhibition in a cafe in Mount Evelyn, VIC Australia. I have done a series of mixed media pieces and "Cheeky J" is the 5th in the series. I wanted to use one of my grand daughter's face and favorite colours in the painting. I can see her quirky grin and eyes in this painting.  Happy with the results.

 

The second day 2/100 I started a series of monoprints using my homemade Gelli plate and a colour combination I have not worked with before. Every mixed media piece I do starts with mono prints. I usually use a printing plate or carved stamp. This time I wanted to try the Gelli plate and glazing mediums in my paints to give more fluidity to the paints. I also love using alcohol on the paints. It didn't quite work this time, I think the paints were to thick...more glazing medium next time might help achieve the look I want. This is only the bottom layer so I can try the alcohol technique on the second layer.

 

Day 3/100, I worked on the second layer of my prints. I love textured looks to images and these will add that texture I want in one of my mixed media artworks I am working on. I was not sure I liked the orange colour at first but it will add a nice accent colour to my mixed media piece. The collage app I used to create the image gave me an idea on how to used some of the scraps from these prints in the "My Mother's House" project. I have to used one day of this project to have a play to see how that idea works out in practice.


Day 4/100, I am experimenting with using alcohol and textured gesso backgrounds to create a base colour for a painting. It has been a long time since I used alcohol in my paintings and mixed media as it can be very tricky to get the look I want. I am really please with this background. After seeing the effect I got, I changed my mind as to what the final painting this will end up being. This is layer one of many layers to come. I can't finish a mixed media canvas in one day as each layer needs to dry fully before adding the next..... I am really anxious to get started on this piece. I think Day 5/100 may be the day I experiment in my journal with a rough draft of what this piece will be.





Looking forward to seeing where this journey takes me with my skills and creativity. 


Rss_feed

UA-44955988-1